Sunday, July 26, 2009

Look out! There's stormy waters ahead!


[Stormy Sea]. Retrieved July 26, 2009 from http://www.guildford.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/86664FD3-E231-4082-B9AB-911AC042D118/0/shipCopy.jpg

After viewing the Wikis in Plain English Video, I decided to try creating a wiki of my very own. This journey at the helm of the ship was not smooth sailing. There were certainly stormy waters as I sought to complete my voyage.

Dilemma #1: What to create a wiki on? I am not a self proclaimed "expert" on any subject, but I really wanted to take the helm of the ship and try creating a wiki. So, after much consideration, I decided to create a wiki for my Grade 2 social studies class. Our curriculum focuses on community and, in particular, our class, neighbourhood and city. So, why not create a wiki about a Grade 2 class' perspective of Swift Current?

Dilemma #2: Which site to create a wiki on? After having reviewed several wikis in my previous post and reading the recommendations of my classmates, I decided to try PBWorks. I was able to have a basic account for free, so I figured, why not?

Dilemma #3: How to write a wiki? I have never written a wiki before. This wiki is also unique in that I want the students to contribute to the majority of the site's material so I did not want to add a lot of content myself. As a result, what you see is a bare bones framework of where I want the students to begin rather than a completed wiki. As we complete each unit, I want the students to build on the site's content.

Dilemma #4: I really wanted to add a picture of the school to the wiki. Getting a picture, no problem. Adding a picture? Well, that took several attempts. I was expecting a picture button on the top toolbar like you would see in Microsoft Word. However, no such luck. After much searching, I found an image upload button in the right hand tool bar. Problem solved!

Dilemma #5: Some of my links didn't want to save. I tried to create an our school link to my wiki's main page and for some reason that particular link would not save. I tried it four times, each time with a different title. Each time I hit the save button, just as I did with my other links but, alas, it would not save. This was some of the roughest waters that I ventured through on my voyage. Unfortunately, I still haven't figured out why that particular link would not save.

So, my journey was not without it perils. However, on the whole I did find that is was quite easy to create a simple page. I certainly did not create a sophisticated wiki, rather just a framework for a page that is yet to come. Could my Grade 2 students post to the wiki? I believe that they will be able to type in their information. I will likely need to create the links for them and help them add pictures as needed. Luckily, we have a e-learning teacher for our school whose job is to help teachers use electronic resources in their classroom. I will be enlisting her help as I begin the creation of the wiki with the students. All in all, it was a positive experience that I look forward to building on as the school year progresses. If you would like to see my wiki framework here is the link to the site.

4 comments:

  1. Tara, I think you have depicted very well the stages in producing anything using Web 2.0 applications. There certainly is a time factor that comes into the picture. Sometimes that forces me as an educator to really focus on what learning outcomes I am aiming for. Once I am clear on that, I have a better idea which Web 2.0 tools I will try to use.
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tara,

    Did you have to pay for your PBWorks wiki site? When I tried to sign in to get one, I received an email telling me it would cost $99 even for an educational site on PBWorks.
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tara,

    Lovely lay out on your blog. I think it might even be easier to start with younger students as you say, they love to have an audience.

    Perhaps for my older, comp reluctant kids, they may have to have a lot of guiding and reflecting first? I can just envision some bright light writing You suck! on somebody's posting. But hopefully that would only ever be once as the group would clean up the graffiti right away!

    Loved your slide show and voice thread. You have inspired me!
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ruth, I didn't have to pay for my PBWorks wiki.

    ReplyDelete